Corn & Bulgur Salad with Cilantro & Lime
Bulgur is most often associated with Tabouleh, a Middle Eastern salad made with parsley and mint, and is, in fact, a staple in that part of the world. In this salad, bulgur takes on a Southwest flair with the additions of corn, lime and cilantro. Try serving this with your favorite Mexican dish as a substitute for the rice or as a side to the Spinach & Black Bean Burrito. If jalapeno is too spicy for your kids, just leave it out.
Number of Servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ears corn, kernels cut off
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups bulgur wheat, soaked and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Cayenne pepper as needed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add the corn and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the sauté pan and place in a mixing bowl along with the onions, bulgur, jalapenos, lemon and lime juices, remaining salt, and a few pinches of cayenne and let sit for at least an hour.
- Toss in cilantro and sage just prior to serving.