Once a novelty, hummus is now manufactured by dozens of companies and is available in grocery stores across the country. In a pinch you can buy it, but it’s so easy to make you’ll wonder why you ever bought it in the first place. We recommend using dried chick peas for the most flavorful hummus, but if you don’t have time, two cups of drained canned chick peas may be substituted for the dried beans in the recipe. Hummus can be served as a main course or a snack. If you want to serve it as a snack we recommend baking pita triangles (350 degree oven until crisp) to go with it.
Number of Servings
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- In at least 4 cups of water bring the garbanzo beans to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender. Reserve some of the cooking liquid.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until very smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add some of the reserved cooking liquid and process again until smooth.