Red Lentil Burgers
These vegetarian lentil patties are delicious as well as healthy and can be served as a burger on a whole grain bun, or as an entrée with rice and some grilled veggies.
Number of Servings
- 5 cups water, salted
- 1 pound red lentils
- 1 cup onions, minced
- ½ cup carrots, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- olive oil for sautéeing
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- ¾ cup Japanese (panko) bread crumbs, ground
- 4 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 10 ounces tofu, puréed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, cook lentils in salted water until tender. Drain and cool.
- Sauté the onion, carrot and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Add the mushrooms, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated- approximately 5 minutes- and allow to cool.
- Add bread crumbs, lemon juice, puréed tofu and olive oil and mix to combine. Chill for 30 minutes and then shape into patties.
- Pan fry until each side is crisp and golden. Finish in a 350 degree F oven if necessary to heat through.