Three Cheese Vegetable Strata
Ever wonder what to do with all your stale, leftover bread or bread ends? This recipe provides a solution that can be made the night before for an easy early morning start. Feel free to experiment with other vegetables and/or leftover meats and sausage for a more protein rich alternative.
Number of Servings
- 3 cups button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup Spanish onion, small dice
- 3 cups asparagus, sliced
- 6 slices sourdough bread, crust removed, diced large
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 to 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
The night before:
- Butter a 9 by 9-inch medium casserole dish.
- In a heavy skillet, sauté mushrooms and onions. When tender add the asparagus and sauté for one minute.
- Layer the bread, the mushroom mixture, and the cheeses into the prepared casserole dish.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and salt in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the mushroom mixture and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the top begins to brown and the eggs are firm.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes before cutting.